https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/joinin/bbc-500-words – Here is the website link for more information.
BBC 500 Words
The children’s short story writing competition, opens on Tuesday 26th September.
The idea is to write a 500 word fictional story on whatever you want…dogs in space? Food coming alive? Aliens taking over? We want to hear it all.
The only rules are that the story has to be 500 words or fewer (which is about one side of A4!) and it has to be your own idea, written in your own words by yourself (your friends can enter the competition themselves!) They want you to write a story you would want to read and so they really want you to get creative with the storyline – so they won’t be marking you on your spelling, punctuation or grammar (we pinky promise).
They will be marking your stories on five things: characterisation, originality, plot, language and enjoyment.
- Your story needs to be typed and can be submitted from 8am on 26th September through to 8pm on 10th November 2023.
- The creative writing competition is split into two age categories, 5-7 and 8-11 year olds, and there will be gold, silver and bronze winners for each age group.
- To enter the competition, you need to be the relevant age by the closing date, 10th November 2023.
- An adult (parent, guardian or teacher) must enter your story on the website (BBC) – If you would like the school to help or enter your child’s story please email the typed up version to the school by 8th November 2023.
- It can’t be a rap, poem or prose.
They are going to host a final at the end of February with the top 50 finalists (who can bring an adult with them as a guest) at Buckingham Palace! A special 500 Words programme will be shown on BBC One on World Book Day on 7th March 2024. Not only will the top 50 attend the final, so will many of the country’s biggest celebrities! It’s going to be a spectacular event with lots of prizes up for grabs.
Even if you are unsure if you would like to enter, give it a go! Try something new, something different, out of your comfort zone. Show people what amazing story writers you all are and how creative you can be, remember it can be about ANYTHING you want.
If you have any questions or would like any help/guidance please speak to Miss Baker or Miss Barber.
GOOD LUCK! You are going to be amazing!